Diet: Adequate nutrition is essential for normal healing. A high protein diet is desirable (milk, eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, ground meat). Eat a semi-soft diet and avoid hard foods. When possible, chew on the other side of the mouth.
Post surgery diet suggestions:
Have only cool to warm liquids (not hot) to drink after your surgery until the numbness has worn off. This is to prevent you from burning your lips, cheeks, or tongue.
Do not eat until the numbness has worn off. This is to prevent you from biting your lips, cheeks or tongue.
VERY SOFT FOOD LIST:
- Eggs (scrambled, soft boiled or poached)
- Yogurt (avoid seeds)
- Cottage cheese
- Creamy soups
- Mashed potatoes and gravy
- Hot cereals
- Ice cream
- Milk shakes (DO NOT JUST EAT SWEETS.)
SOFT FOOD LIST:
- Macaroni and cheese
- Soups with chunks of meat and vegetables
- Egg salad
- Tuna salad
- Ground meat
FOODS TO AVOID FOR AT LEAST 3 WEEKS:
- All nuts
- All seeds
- Chips (taco, tortilla, potato, etc.)
- Any hard or crunchy foods